Ms. Basha’s practice focuses on domestic and international estate and tax planning. She counsels an affluent international client base on a wide range of sophisticated matters, including estate and trust administration, family wealth preservation, tax compliance, as well as business succession, expatriation and pre-immigration planning. Leigh is head of the Firm's Washington, DC, Private Client Practice Group.
Leigh is an adjunct professor of wills, trusts and estates at American University Washington College of Law. She lectures and has written extensively about international estate and tax planning issues, and is editor of A Guide to International Estate Planning: Drafting, Compliance, and Administration Strategies, Second Edition.
· International Bar Association (IBA), council member of the Legal Practice Division, and past chair of the Individual Tax and Private Client Committee.
· Immediate past chair of STEP Mid-Atlantic Branch and chairs the Program Committee of STEP USA.
· Past chair of the ABA RPTE Section’s Income and Transfer Tax Planning Group.
· Fellow of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
· Academician in The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law.
· Editor of A Guide to International Estate Planning: Drafting, Compliance, and Administration Strategies, Second Edition.
Awards & Honors
· Recognized by Chambers Global – The World's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, International Private Client, 2014 - 2016; Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Wealth Management: Eastern Region, 2014 - 2016; Chambers High Net Worth 2016, District of Columbia, Private Wealth and USA, Private Wealth: Eastern Region; Top Money Adviser, Estates Attorney, Washingtonian Magazine, 2014; DC’s Best Lawyers: Trust and Estates, Washington Magazine, 2015; The International Who’s Who of Private Client Lawyers (2013 and 2016), Who’s Who Legal 100: Private Client (2014), and The Best Lawyers in America guide; Tax Law, Trusts & Estates (2012-2017), among her many accolades. She is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell.
· The Tools and Techniques of Estate Planning for Modern Families – Chapter 4: Planning for International Couples Leimberg Library: 2nd Edition
· In Depth USA: Recent Developments Oxford Press: Trusts & Trusts, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp 25-39 | February 2017
· Estate of Play STEP Journal | November 2016
· Buying a Piece of France Who’s Who Legal Private Client | November 2015
International News: Focus on Private Equity International News | Autumn 2015
· Private Client & Wealth Management
· International Estate Planning
· Trust & Estate Controversy
· Georgetown University Law Center, LLM, 1989
· American University - Washington College of Law, JD, 1985
· Georgetown University, AB, 1982
Bar and Court Admissions
· District of Columbia
· US Supreme Court
· US Tax Court